Chicken Pie

by - 12:14 PM

chicken pie-0404-2

 

I have been asked more than once if I am a vegetarian. I am not, I just happen to like vegetables a lot.

So naturally this Chicken pie is loaded with vegetables.  

 

chicken pie-0367

 

To get started you need some parsley, chives and sage, preferably fresh from the garden but if you only have dried that would work too.

 

chicken pie-0369

 

Here’s the starting line up.

 

chicken pie-0379

 

In a bowl add cooked potatoes, cooked carrots, chopped celery, cooked green beans,

 

chicken pie-0386

 

sautéed onions, gravy, parsley, chives, and sage.

 

chicken pie-0387

 

Season with salt, pepper,

 

chicken pie-0389

 

and garlic powder.

 

chicken pie-0392

 

mix together.

 

chicken pie-0395

 

Add in cooked chicken. 

 

chicken pie-0397

 

mix together.

 

chicken pie-0400

 

Pour into pie shell.

 

chicken pie-0404-2

 

It should all fit even if you have to do a little convincing.  Didn’t Martha Stewart have an article about really deep pies? I think it was actually about desert pies, well never mind.

 

chicken pie-0405

 

Top with pie crust cut into shapes cut with a cookie cutter.

 

chicken pie-0406

 

Place on baking sheet to catch the drips so they don’t mess up the oven. Bake at 350 for an hour or until lightly brown.

 

chicken pie-0416

 

let cool and serve.

 

chicken pie-0409

 

Or serve it French Canadien style with ketchup.

I had never heard of putting ketchup on chicken pie until I was served chicken pie at my friend’s house and they passed me the ketchup. Guests first, I was confused. She explained that you put it on top of the chicken pie. I was skeptical at first, but I tried it.

I can now tell you it is good and I have converted.

 

 

Chicken pie

ingredients

  • 1 unbaked 9" pie shell, top and bottom
  • 3/4 cup potatoes,  cubed and cooked
  • 3/4cup green beans, cooked
  • 1 /2 cup carrots, sliced and cooked
  • 1/3 cup celery, chopped
  • 1/2 cup onions, sautéed
  • 3/4 cup chicken gravy
  • 1 1/2 cup chicken, cooked
  • 1 sprig of parsley, minced
  • A few chives, minced
  • 4 or 5 leaves of sage, minced
  • salt pepper and garlic powder to taste


In a bowl add potatoes through sage and mix together. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
Pour into pie shell. Top with pie crust cut into shapes cut with a cookie cutter.
Bake at 350 for an hour or until lightly brown.


You May Also Like

0 comments

Find me on

Facebook Taste spotting