Favorite spot and a photo stitching tutorial

by - 7:48 AM

stitch5

The best thing about breaking my wide angle lens is I can’t get much of a panoramic photo or more like can’t get any. Actually that’s not the best thing at all.

 

SNC-159

 

Because of this I was motivated to learn how to stitch photos together. I wait to learn things until I really need to. Maybe it sticks better in my brain that way.

 

SNC-140

Or maybe it was because I heard someone say they’d stitched a bunch of photos together to make one image, and they have a super awesome fancy pants camera and in the back of my mind I had this thought that went somethin’ like this:

I may not have a super awesome fancy pants camera but that doesn’t mean I can’t stitch photos together anyway.

 

  Super awesome fancy pants camera people are some of the friendliest people I’ve met and more than willing to share what they know.  The Three Amigos  here were  shooting with their  super awesome fancy pants cameras  from my favorite spot and were more than happy to answer all of my questions. That one in the middle is some kind of camera I’ve never heard of before that takes 80mb files! It’s cool though, He’s a Habs fan watched ‘em at the Forum.

 

    stitch3_1

 

I don’t know if I did it the most efficient way and I’m sure there are many other ways to do it, but  this is how I stitched 4 photos.

I used Photoshop but I ‘m sure you can do it in Gimp too.

Open all photos you want to stitch and then open a new blank image (File >Open >New.)

Make it large enough to fit all your photos you want to stitch.


sunr

Drag in each photo onto the blank image and line it up as best you can. As you line them up temporarily adjust the opacity of the layer to 75% so you can see the layer it’s over lapping. If you kept the camera level as you took all your photos this job will be a lot easier.

Don’t ask me how I know.

 

stitch4

Then comes the fun part! Select all layers then tell it to align layers (Edit > Auto-align layers…)  Then just sit back and wait for the magic. I used a light eraser on the edges of the layers that overlapped. 

 

stitch4a

If you’re like me and shot without a polarizing filter because you didn’t yet realize how important that was, it might look a little dull and wanting just a little something more.

 

stitch5

I tried a vibrancy layer at 15%

and a curves layer, the auto preset to “increase contrast”. Then I set the opacity to 56% because 100% was too much.

Saved it as a jpeg and that was it.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Find me on

Facebook Taste spotting