Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

by - 6:25 AM

PNPSPB-30

I started with TwoPeasAndTheirPod’s recipe and then shamelessly disobeyed it.

It started out by having Sweet potatoes and no pumpkins but that’s ok, sweet potatoes are supposed to be good for you. I forget why but they are. I do know when you add honey, maple syrup, and spices to them they taste like pumpkin pie filling.

 

PNPSPB-3

I pureed 2 cups of sweet potato with 1/2 cup of milk and a combination of 1/2 cup maple syrup and raw honey. I’m making enough for two batches of granola bars here so don’t worry about my quantities.

 

PNPSPB-5

This is probably the one time I actually put the dry ingredients in the bowl first.

 

PNPSPB-8

But then I just can’t bring myself to dirty TWO bowls so the apple sauce, vanilla and sweet potato puree went in just like that.

 

PNPSPB-9

I mixed pretty well and then decided I wanted to add some puffed rice to add a little contrast to the seriously sturdy, almost “too healthy” get-your-daily-fiber-and-then-some oats.

 

PNPSPB-10

So I did.

 

PNPSPB-11

I tossed in what was left in the chocolate chip bag. I’ll call it a cup.

 

PNPSPB-16

Quick turn on the oven and grease the baking pan.

 

PNPSPB-13

Pour into pan

 

PNPSPB-15

press into pan. Bake at 350 for 30 –35 minutes.

 

PNPSPB-19

I will not do this to get it out of the pan. …because the warm chocolate chips on the top got all smeared when I turned them right side up.

 

PNPSPB-24

Cut into bars.

 

PNPSPB-36

Serve or store in freezer.

 

Sweet potato chocolate chip granola bars

  • 2 1/4 cups organic old fashioned oats
  • 1 cup whole wheat organic pastry flour
  • 1 cup puffed rice
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 cup sweetened sweet potato puree
  • ¼ cup applesauce
  • ¼ cup honey
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup chocolate chips

     Sweet potato puree

1 cup sweet potato

1/4 cup maple syrup and honey

1/4 cup milk

blend until smooth

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. grease an 8 by 13 baking pan with butter or oil and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk oats, spices, sugar, and salt together. Then mix in  sweet potato puree, applesauce, and vanilla extract until smooth. Pour over oats and stir well, until all of the oats are moist. Stir in chocolate chips.
press oat mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
  Cut into bars.

 

You May Also Like

0 comments

Find me on

Facebook Taste spotting